Child exploitation and sex trafficking is more prevalent than you may realize. Sexual abuse, among other factors, makes children exponentially more vulnerable to exploitation. More than 90% of children who are sex trafficked have been sexually abused in the past.
Child sex trafficking, also known as the commercial sexual exploitation of children (CSEC), is any sexual activity involving a child for which something of value is given or promised. Building on the education provided in Stewards of Children®, Darkness to Light’s evidence-based training on preventing, recognizing, and reacting responsibly to child sexual abuse, this training teaches you about the root cause of commercial sexual exploitation and why preventing sexual abuse is important to reducing the risk of children being sexually trafficked. It is highly recommended that participants complete Stewards of Children® prior to taking the course.
Available both online or as an in-person session delivered by an authorized Darkness to Light Facilitator, the training is also available in a Spanish-language version hosted by psychologist and CNN medical contributor Dr. Maris Azaret
WHAT ARE THE OUTCOMES?
During the training, you will hear compelling stories from experts and survivors about the child sex trafficking. You will also:
- learn what child exploitation is and what circumstances make children vulnerable.
- learn about the root causes of sex trafficking directly from survivors.
- understand how preventing child sexual abuse reduces the risk for children being sex trafficked.
- learn practical steps adults can take to prevent child sex trafficking.
WHAT ARE THE DISTINCTIVE FEATURES?
Darkness to Light is proud to offer this training, which includes:
- stories from featured survivors, experts, youth serving professionals, and parents.
- a course worksheet designed to help reinforce key concepts and serve as a resource guide on exploitation.
- interactive discussion about important issues in sexual abuse prevention and how they affect communities and youth serving organizations (facilitator-led only).
- knowledge checks (online only).
“That’s the lowest you can feel in life because at that point you’re no longer human. You have a value on you that is so low. I have gone to the store and bought toys for my child that valued more than what my trafficker sold me for.”