Our trained, authorized facilitators are advocates for keeping children safe from sexual abuse.
A Darkness to Light Authorized Facilitator is an individual who has been trained by Darkness to Light to deliver the Stewards of Children® training program to adults in their organization or community. Facilitators model the core principals of Stewards of Children® in their community by talking openly about child sexual abuse and engaging adults in discussion.
WHO SHOULD BECOME A FACILITATOR?
Typically, someone becomes trained as a facilitator for two reasons:
- You work or volunteer for an organization that wants to hold regular Stewards of Children® training sessions, perhaps to train all the organization’s staff and volunteers or to offer training to the community
- You want to start or be involved in a prevention initiative in their community and offer the Stewards of Children® training program to a variety of individuals and organizations
WHAT ARE THE QUALIFICATIONS?
- While teaching or training experience if not required, you must feel comfortable speaking and presenting in front of large audiences. Good presentation, listening, and communication skills are all critically important in being an effective facilitator.
- You should consider how talking about the issue regularly and openly in public will affect you personally. It is difficult to hear personal stories of abuse. You must be prepared to be immersed in the topic without it having a negative or traumatic effect on you. If you are a survivor of sexual abuse, this is an especially important consideration.
HOW DO I BECOME A FACILITATOR?
To become an Authorized Facilitator, you must attend a Facilitator Workshop. These train-the-trainer workshops are held regularly in cities across the country. The cost of the workshop is $450 and includes:
- Instructions on the philosophy and purpose of Stewards of Children®, mastery of the training curriculum, preparation for and promoting the program, and facilitator policies and procedures
- All training materials including the Facilitator Manual, Facilitator Guide & Script with the DVD, and 20 Stewards of Children® Interactive Workbooks
- 7 hours of instruction, approved for CE credit by the National Association of Social Workers(NASW). Darkness to Light has been approved by NBCC(National Board for Certified Counselors) as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6635. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. Darkness to Light is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
WHAT ARE THE RESPONSIBILITIES OF A FACILITATOR?
- Schedule and facilitate at least four Stewards of Children® sessions a year.
- Purchase training materials for each person you train. The cost of the Interactive Workbook is $10. Facilitators are authorized to charge speaking and/or material fees beyond the $10 per person to cover time and expenses.
- Sign a facilitator agreement accepting all facilitator policies and agree to a background test.