Being prepared to intervene as a bystander is key to preventing child sexual abuse.
In this training you will learn how to be an active bystander in child sexual abuse prevention and response. You will receive examples of boundary violations and inappropriate behaviors, and how you can make spontaneous and planned interventions that reinforce boundaries and protect children. This training builds on the education provided in Stewards of Children®, Darkness to Light’s evidence-based training on preventing, recognizing, and reacting responsibly to child sexual abuse. It is highly recommended that participants complete Stewards of Children® prior to taking the course.
Available both online or as an in-person session delivered by an authorized Darkness to Light Facilitator, the training is also available in a Spanish-language version hosted by psychologist and CNN medical contributor Dr. Maris Azaret.
WHAT ARE THE OUTCOMES?
During the training, you will hear compelling stories from experts and survivors about being an active bystander. You will also:
- learn what it means to be an active bystander.
- learn what actions you can take as an active bystander.
- receive examples of boundary violations and red flag behaviors.
- learn how to make spontaneous and planned interventions.
WHAT ARE THE DISTINCTIVE FEATURES?
Darkness to Light is proud to offer this bystander training, which includes:
- stories from featured survivors, experts, youth serving professionals, and parents.
- a course worksheet designed to help reinforce key concepts and serve as a resource guide on bystander intervention.
- interactive discussion about important issues in sexual abuse prevention and how they affect communities and youth serving organizations (facilitator-led only).
- knowledge checks (online only).
- Training: Bystanders Protecting Children from Boundary Violations & Sexual Abuse
- Training: Commercial Sexual Exploitation of Children
- Training: Talking With Children About Safety from Sexual Abuse
- Training: Recognizing & Reporting Child Abuse and Neglect
- Training: Healthy Touch for Children and Youth
- Training: Stewards Of Children®
“Sometimes we have to understand that doing the right thing is not always doing the easy thing.”