Did you know?
– In more than 90% of sexual abuse case the child knows the abuser.
– Nearly 40% of children that are sexually abused are abused by older or larger children.
– People who abuse children look and act just like everyone else.
Clubs, Sports Leagues and Youth Groups Are Important For Children
Participation in sports, camps, music lessons and children’s clubs is important and healthy for a child. However, without certain policies and procedures, these organizations can inadvertently provide an opportunity for a pedophile to molest children. You’ve seen the headlines – you know it’s true!
To protect your child make sure your youth-serving programs require comprehensive screening of staff and volunteers, have one-child one-adult policies and teach reporting procedures to all staff and volunteers.
Your child’s protection should be a priority for any organization that serves children.
Protect Your Child Ask Questions!
Ask organizations that care for your child these questions – and insist on training!
– Do you check personal and professional references for staff and volunteers?
– Do you do criminal background and abuse/neglect registry checks?
– Do you train all employees and volunteers on sexual abuse prevention
– What is your policy about one-one time between adults and children?
– What do you do to make sure that all adult-child contact is observable and interruptible?