DARKNESS TO LIGHT AWARDED $2.5 MILLION FROM OAK FOUNDATION FOR CHILD PROTECTION
Award fosters child sexual abuse prevention innovations through legislative advocacy and Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
CHARLESTON, SC – Darkness to Light, a national leader in the prevention of child sexual abuse, announced today that Oak Foundation has funded the organization with $2.5 million for two years to support expanded operations with a focus on diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI), as well as the work of the Keep Kids Safe movement in the United States. Oak Foundation commits its resources to address issues of global, social and environmental concern, particularly those that have a major impact on the lives of the disadvantaged. With offices in Europe, Africa, India and North America, Oak Foundation makes grants to organizations in approximately 40 countries worldwide.
This grant award supports two vital efforts: first, the expansion of Darkness to Light’s long-term DEI strategy and the integration of DEI‐focused policies and practices into the organization’s operations. This will better equip Darkness to Light and its representatives to serve underrepresented minority communities and to co-create customized prevention education solutions that meet the needs of underrepresented minority communities.
Secondly, the award supports a national campaign to mobilize federal legislation to end child sexual abuse through the Keep Kids Safe movement. Keep Kids Safe is a coalition of national organizations committed to providing prevention, healing, and justice for victims of child sexual abuse and violence. On November 18, 2021, the coalition launched the National Blueprint to End Sexual Violence Against Children and Adolescents. The blueprint lays out an agenda for action calling on the executive and legislative branches to act immediately to keep our kids safe through comprehensive prevention, healing, and justice initiatives.
Through the Oak grant, Darkness to Light will support Keep Kids Safe’s federal advocacy efforts for child safety by co-creating a U.S.-based public mobilization campaign. This mobilization campaign will provide needed momentum and support to propel federal legislation toward ending the existing silent pandemic of sexual violence, exploitation, and abuse against children and adolescents.
“We have had the pleasure of working with Oak in the area of child safeguarding over the past few years. We are delighted to continue our relationship with Oak through this funding to further enhance Darkness to Light’s investment in augmenting solutions for marginalized and underserved children in the child sexual abuse protection space as well as supporting the innovative work of the Keep Kids Safe movement. Our nation is uniquely poised to take decisive action on behalf of all children; the time is now.”
– Katelyn N. Brewer, Darkness to Light President and CEO
“It is great to be able to support Darkness to Light in such a meaningful area of work. We believe that the scourge of child sexual abuse can be wiped out, and the efforts of Darkness to Light to tackle this on several levels and shine a light on the lives of children the most unseen, is a huge step in the right direction.”
– Brigette De Lay, Director of Oak Foundation’s Prevent Child Sexual Abuse Programme
CHILD SEXUAL ABUSE STATISTICS – PROVIDED BY DARKNESS TO LIGHT
- One in 10 children in the US will be sexually abused before their 18th
- 90% of child sexual abuse victims know their abuser.
- Approximately 30% of children who are sexually abused are abused by family members.
- 60% of child sexual abuse victims never tell anyone.
- False reports are rare. Research shows that only 4 to 8% of child sexual abuse reports are fabricated.
WHAT TO DO IF YOU BELIEVE A CHILD IS BEING ABUSED – PROVIDED BY DARKNESS TO LIGHT
- You do not need to have proof that abuse is occurring to make a report, only reasonable suspicion. Reasonable suspicion means that you have witnessed maltreatment or boundary violations, either in the child or adult, or both. Or, you have received a disclosure from a child about abuse, neglect, or boundary violations towards them.
- Child sexual abuse reports should be made to the police and/or state child protective services.
- Contact the Darkness to Light Helpline at 866-FOR-LIGHT or text LIGHT to 741741 to have questions answered by trained counselors at no charge.
About Darkness to Light
Darkness to Light is a national nonprofit organization empowering adults to prevent child sexual abuse through awareness, education, and stigma reduction. Darkness to Light’s flagship program, Stewards of Children®, is an evidence-informed, award-winning training that teaches adults to prevent, recognize, and react responsibly to child sexual abuse. More than 2 million adults have been trained using Darkness to Light trainings. For more information, visit www.D2L.org.