The Safe & Healthy Communities Initiative
The Safe and Healthy Communities Initiative is a joint effort between Penn State and the Pennsylvania Commission on Crime and Delinquency to prevent child sexual abuse across the Commonwealth.
Child sexual abuse is likely the most prevalent health issue children face today. In fact, one in 10 children will be sexually abused by their 18th birthday. It can have devastating, long-term consequences for both victims and communities. Through the Stewards of Children® training you will learn how to prevent, recognize, and react responsibly to child sexual abuse.
The Safe and Healthy Community Initiative is proud to offer Stewards of Children® at no cost to parents, educators, and community members in Bucks, Chester, Somerset and Cambria, and York county.
Select your county using the links below to take Stewards of Children® online. You will be taken to your training page for registration.
The online format allows users to take the training at any time or place, at a pace of their choosing. The Learning Management System (LMS) platform provides check-in questions throughout the course, and a printable certificate is provided upon the successful completion of all sections. This version is delivered in an individual, rather than group, setting.
Engaging and thought provoking, group led sessions include:
- A two-part DVD presentation with commentary from sexual abuse survivors, experts in the field and concerned adults.
- Facilitator-led discussion emphasizes important issues in prevention within the community and organizations that serve children and youth.
- An interactive workbook facilitates discussion, reinforces key concepts, and serves as a resource and personal action plan for resolving child sexual abuse.
SELECT YOUR COUNTY
About Stewards of Children®:
- Training Length: 2 hours
- Format: Online or In-person
- Languages: English and Spanish
- CEU: Contact hours available for social workers and nurses.
- It is the only nationally available, scientifically evaluated prevention training program of its kind.
- It takes a compassionate, engaging approach to child sexual abuse prevention using a combination of survivor stories, experts advice, and practical guidance.