Training for Texas School Employees
Texas law requires that all school employees participate in a training concerning prevention techniques for and recognition of sexual abuse and other maltreatment of children (TEC § 38.0041).
Child sexual abuse is likely the most prevalent issue children face today. It can have devastating, long-term consequences for both victims and communities.
As mandated reporters in Texas, educators and other school staff must remain aware and educated on the topic of child abuse. School personnel play an important role in child abuse reporting. In fact, school personnel identify 52% of all identified child abuse cases classified as causing harm to the child, more than any other profession or organizational type, including child protective services, agencies and the police.
As such, Texas law requires that all school employees participate in a training concerning prevention techniques for and recognition of sexual abuse and other maltreatment of children (TEC § 38.0041).
Please note: We are no longer offering free access to Stewards of Children. The training is $10 for individuals. Click on your region below to learn more and register.
- Training Length: 2 hours
- Format: Online
- Languages: English and Spanish
- Staff Tracking: Score and Completion Tracking Available for Online
- CPE: TEA-approved for 2 credit hours*
*Applies to Teachers, Superintendents, Principals, Coaches, Athletic Trainers, School Counselors, School Librarians, Reading Specialists, and Educational Diagnosticians
Why Choose Darkness to Light’s Stewards of Children®?
- It is a training available to all Texas school districts and open-enrollment charter school employees.
- It is the only nationally available, scientifically evaluated prevention training program of its kind.
- Its evidence-informed platform addresses the needs of geographically and socioeconomically diverse campuses of all sizes.
- It takes a compassionate, engaging approach to child sexual abuse prevention using a combination of survivor stories, expert advice, and practical guidance.
- It offers convenience and ease of use for districts through online individual training.
- It provides the ability to track, monitor, and maintain training records for all school personnel as required by Texas law(TEC § 38.0041(d)).
- It may be provided in coordination with partnering districts, Education Service Centers (ESCs), Children’s Advocacy Centers (CACs), and other community organizations to strengthen local training efforts.
- It is approved by the Texas Education Agency (TEA), and eligible for Continuing Professional Education (CPE) credits.
- It may also fulfill your requirement for mandated reporter training in Texas.
- It provides administrators, faculty, and staff with the knowledge and tools to effectively recognize and respond to child sexual abuse.
The online format allows school personnel to take the training at any time or place, at a pace of their choosing. The Learning Management System (LMS) platform provides check-in questions throughout the course, and a printable certificate is provided upon the successful completion of all sections. This version is delivered in an individual, rather than group, setting.
Select your region and district using the link below to take Stewards of Children® online. You will be taken to your training page for registration.
Administrators – Do you want to track online training for your district or school?
Administrators who would like to be able to track online training and access reports with registrations, scores, and training dates for their district or school can e-mail Stewards@D2L.org with a contact name, e-mail address, region number, district name, and/or school name. A Darkness to Light representative will then be in contact within two business days to discuss the next steps and help set up a tracking account.
Region 1 – Edinburg
Region 2 – Corpus Christi
Region 3 – Victoria
Region 4 – Houston
Region 5 – Beaumont
Region 6 – Huntsville
Region 7 – Kilgore
Region 8 – Mount Pleasant
Region 9 – Wichita Falls
Region 10 – Richardson
Region 11 – Fort Worth
Region 12 – Waco
Region 13 – Austin
Region 14 – Abilene
Region 15 – San Angelo
Region 16 – Amarillo
Region 17 – Lubbock
Region 18 – Midland
Region 19 – El Paso
Region 20 – San Antonio
Interested in a group training led by a Darkness to Light Authorized Facilitator? Find a Facilitator Near You
“Educators have a moral imperative to foster and promote an educational climate where students are physically and emotionally safe. Stewards of Children® provides educators with proactive tools that enable them to recognize the warning signs and to implement preventative best practices.”