I was shown a very interesting article in the Washington Post over the weekend regarding the sexual abuse epidemic in the Catholic Church. Dave Gibson’s article is candid with regards to the Church’s “scandal”, but he also makes us realize that the Catholic Church is not an exceptional case with regards to incidence of abuse.
Gibson’s Myths Here:
1) Pope Benedict is the primary culprit in the coverup of the abuse scandal.
2) Gay priests are to blame.
3) Sexual abuse is more pervasive in the Catholic Church than in other institutions.
4) Media outlets are biased against the Catholic Church.
5) The crisis will compel U.S. Catholics to leave the church.