"Knowing what I now know about this topic has
compelled me to act.
It is not hard, not
and too important to dismiss.
Take this program, everyone."
- Dr. John Stuart Batchelder, Criminal Justice Professor,
University of North Georgia
Whether you work for an educational institution, worship center, recreation facility, day care operation, or one of myriad other youth serving organizations, the odds are, you're prepared.
You know the nearest exits so that you can get children out of the building quickly and safely, if necessary. You know where the First Aid kits are located, and you may even have procedure for documenting injuries when they occur. But do you know how to react if sexual abuse occurs to a child in your care?
Child sexual abuse is likely the most prevalent health problem children face, with the most serious array of consequences. In fact, 1 in 10 children will experience sexual abuse before their 18th birthday.
Become a Partner in Prevention.
Find out how!
Across the United States, across the world, we hear or read reports of child sexual abuse on a daily basis. Child sexual abuse crosses all socio-economic boundaries, cultures, races, and religions. One of the few commonalities is that predators are often drawn to places where they can easily gain access to children and develop trusting relationships with families and communities. This means that every single youth serving organization is potentially at risk - unless you choose to do something about it.
"The more opportunities I have to educate other adults about prevention, the greater my opportunity to protect the innocence of children in my community."
- Tracy Henegar, MA, CFLE, Northwest Passage Family Outreach Program, Wisconsin
What is Stewards of Children?
- A proactive answer to child sexual abuse prevention.
- A training program that incorporates a combination of survivor stories, expert advice, and practical guidance.
- An evidence-informed prevention solution that shows organization administrators, staff, and volunteers how to implement effective prevention policies, recognize the signs of sexual abuse in children, and react responsibly if abuse occurs.
Why choose Stewards of Children for your organization?
Stewards of Children was developed to meet the needs of a variety of organizations. Training addresses:
- Prevalence and consequences of child sexual abuse for communities and organizations.
- What situations create the risk for abuse.
- Practical strategies for protecting children from sexual abuse.
- Behaviors and grooming techniques practiced by perpetrators.
- How to intervene and react responsibly if warning signs appear or abuse is discovered.
What Outcomes Can Be Expected After Training?
- Increased awareness of the prevalence, consequences and circumstances of child sexual abuse
- New skills for adults to prevent, recognize and react responsibly to child sexual abuse
- Proactive, positive change to organizational policies and procedures
- Individual commitment to action via a personal prevention plan
"This is an excellent, informative training. Knowledge is power; it would be great if more organizations took the initiative to provide this training opportunity."
- Law Enforcement Representative
How is Stewards of Children delivered?
Stewards of Children is available in Spanish or English versions, and can be taken either ONLINE, or in a group setting led by an Authorized Facilitator.
Facilitator-led training typically takes about 2 hours. The online version of the training does not have to be completed in one sitting - you can pause anywhere in the program and pick it up later without losing your place.
Think about it - in a very short period of time, your organization can have the tools necessary to prevent, recognize, and react responsibly to child sexual abuse.
Tracking Staff and Volunteer Training
Organizations frequently use a combination of facilitator-led group sessions and online training to accommodate various schedules. Stewards of Children ONLINE can be incorporated into the pre-employment/pre-volunteer process or used as part of the new employee/new volunteer orientation process.
Darkness to Light can provide administrative access to Stewards of Children ONLINE for organizations that need to:
- Assign the course to employees or volunteers. Employee or volunteer lists can be imported into the system and automatically generate a message to the participant letting them know a course has been assigned.
- Provide additional information about the organization’s specific child protection policies and procedures and track who has reviewed the information.
- Generate reports to review who has or has not completed the training.
- Review test scores.
Contact us at Stewards@D2L.org for more information about Administrative Access to Stewards of Children ONLINE